Racehorse ownership means different things to different people. So as individuals we each get that something different, that something we want from owning a racehorse. 

But having a racehorse in your life makes living so rewarding. Very rewarding in fact. We as an ownership group always have that in common.

With the TRL micro-ownership model it has allowed many to be involved in racing a horse at a financial level to suit all budgets. But once involved the race day opportunities and fun has been enormous.


One of the great enjoyments from the TRL Vic Husslers ownership group has been meeting so many people. We all come from different places, different states, different towns, different walks of life and when put together we are a bunch of horse owners who love racing and enjoy the comradery of the group.

And of course, we love our horses.

For some, the fun of being trackside is the attraction of being an owner but for others just knowing they are a part of owning a racehorse is their enjoyment. Either thought is great but both ideas bring the group together.

We get to follow our runners, love on the horses, chat about them, share the thrill and celebrate the wins. 


So, who are the Vic Husslers, who are the group members? What is their racing background, are they new to this great sport? What do they do away from racing? What are their hobbies, where do they live, which is their favorite horse?

We know these folks from meeting with them on race days and through social media but naturally there is more to each of the people in this ownership group. Let's get to know some of the life stories behind the faces.

Each of the owners will have their own story to share. So, let's meet the owners in the TRL Vic Husslers. 


___________________________________________________________________



Karen Fitzsimons

Melbourne Vic      

TRL Vic Husslers owner - Queensland Rogues owner


It would be fair to say that Karen is the best-known Vic Hussler owner in this group. She has almost single handedly streamlined the race day experience for those of us who head trackside on race day. Karen is an organiser, she excels in the job and having her on your side makes a race day run very smooth. We all thank her for the time she gives, and the effort she puts into making sure all bases are covered and that we as a group get the most from our racehorse ownership. Karen is the best.

But her racing time in the TRL Vic Husslers really happened by default. Karen was in her own words, 'spending weekends on my own' during the Covid lockdowns in Victoria. Awkward days but by watching the racing on the TV then by seasons end she was able to build a handy bank on the punt despite just being a small punter. During a racing telecast she noticed an ad for the TRL and the rest is history.

From that ad on race coverage, she decided to make her racing dream come true.

When Covid restrictions eased Karen reached out to other Vic Husslers members and a group of 20 caught up at Flemington and again using her words, 'Lifelong friendships began'. But that was just the beginning and race day trips meant a day at Pakenham for the cup, interstate trips to the Adelaide Cup, Sydney Cup, Melbourne Cup and Magic Millions on the Gold Coast would see many other new friendships made and trackside celebrations became the norm.

For Karen, she will say, ''The experiences I have had as a Hussler has been invaluable. Holding the Maccas Run Trophy won by Team Captain on cup day 2021 is still an unfathomable experience".


Karen is the oldest of 6 children and she grew up on a dairy farm in Templestowe on land that her family has owned for 180 years. She was riding horses before she could walk but was never taught to ride.

One story Karen tells about family is that her dad bought shares in a racehorse when she was just a young child, apparently it was with money he did not have. So, when Karen had to tell her mum that she was in fact now investing into a racehorse and had bought a share, her mum was horrified. But Karen was quick to assure her mum it was all ok, "It's only $20 a month and cheaper than internet dating."

And footy, Karen is a very keen Magpie fan, she loves her Collingwood ... Go Pies.

For Karen, making the decision to be a Hussler and a Rogue owner has been a life changing experience and she thanks everyone who has been a part of that journey yesterday, today and tomorrow especially her favorite Hussler, Brett.

The sheer joy Karen gets watching our horses win, of new friendships made, owners experiencing the joy of being a Hussler and horse ownership privileges is so rewarding.

MAKING MAGIC HAPPEN


________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



John Green

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner


My time in the racing game has been from a very early age. From the day I could walk it seems that I was a racetrack regular and now at 68 I am very much a racing tragic.

Dad was a bookie in country South Australia way back in the 50's and I tagged along with him to racetracks at Berri and Renmark and to the trotting at Barmera. I was a racing convert very young in life and I was hooked.

I have a love of all things sport, but racing is right near the top of the list. My interest in the racing codes extends to greyhound racing and trotting but give me a racetrack and I am in my element.

As my life went on from the early days in country SA my love for racing grew and over time I have been involved in many different ways. My knowledge of racing coupled with my gifted ability around memory and academic smarts meant I have had the opportunity to be involved not only as a racing follower, but it has given me the chance to participate in various levels of racing.

I have been a race caller across six different states and territories. I have been a racing journalist and assistant racing editor in the print media for a number of publications. I was a radio broadcaster for the ABC and commercial radio and had many years in racing administration. But my involvement in the media also gave me the chance to spend time writing about and calling in my other great love, footy.

My racing admin involvement has been at committee level, I was a vice president of a turf club for a couple of racing seasons and even had time on the board of country racing in SA  back in the 80's before moving to Darwin in 1987. I have always enjoyed being a part of racing administration.


So, I have had a great grounding in this racing game. Now as life slows down and time permits then I have this ownership chance to be my number one hobby in retirement. Ok, I also love fishing, road trips, travel, gardening and cooking to name a couple of other hobbies but racing is my go-to activity.

Racing is something I simply love. Being trackside for the horses, the people, the action, the theatre and the fun is just a thrill.

My time as a race caller was very special. As said, I have been the race day caller at many tracks around the country. After starting with The Riverland Racing Club at Berri in SA I was fortunate to be invited to places like Wentworth NSW, Balranald NSW, Robinvale Vic, Manangatang Vic, Mindarie Halidon SA and Barmera SA to call either racing or greyhounds.

Once I moved to the Northern Territory in 1987 my position as a sports broadcaster on the ABC secured me an invite to head to Northwest WA for racing at Hall's Creek, Kunnunarra, Wyndham and Derby and in the Territory I called the gallops at Renner Springs, Tennant Creek, Brunette Downs and Pine Creek. I was also the track announcer and race caller at Winnellie Park greyhounds in Darwin for a number of years.


Race calling, it was a great time of life. And as an added bonus in May this year (2023) I had the opportunity to head up to Broken Hill NSW to call a Saturday afternoon greyhound meeting. Being back in the broadcast box after many years was a real buzz, I enjoyed that day so much. At 68 I have no doubt I was the oldest greyhound caller in Australia that day.

As a TRL Vic Hussler ownership member I have loved the ride. Team Captain is a favorite of the stable and his win at Flemington in the Macca's Run on Cup Day in 2021 is the standout highlight. Team Captain also ran in the 2023 Adelaide Cup and while he finished back in the pack this was like living the dream as an owner. As a local Adelaide boy I could not have imagined having a runner in this very special race, to be in the mounting yard before the cup mixing and rubbing shoulders with the racing royalty was just beyond belief.

And I was fortunate to be at Morphettville in Adelaide for the two wins by Bellinger, both outstanding wins and very special times on the racetrack. Lethal Thoughts I like, he will win more races I am sure. And now we have The Big Freeze being trained in Adelaide by Richard and Chantelle Jolly so that is a work in progress but very handy for us owners based in SA.

The stables who train our horses are the best in the land. We have Team Hayes, Matt Cumani, Maher/Eustace, Price/Kent, Team Jolly and the likes of Peter Moody have been on the list. As owners we are always made to feel a big part of the journey. From the stable horse reports to mixing with the trainers and stable staff at the track adds to the experience. We even get stables visits.


And I have mentioned a few times about my long involvement in this racing game and some of these trainers and stables are the names I grew up with and have followed over the years. Now I actually get to be a part of the racing life that includes being a part of their race day. I love that.

I came to be in this ownership group through my involvement with miRunners. Both Ruth and I were in the ownership of Fixated and Bellarine Beauty and one day out of the blue we had a call from Sorcha Young who talked to us about the TRL Vic Hussler concept as it was being rolled-out, and as a result of that chat we jumped in as owners. I now often say, 'Thank-you Sorcha for that phone call' because for Ruth and I it meant we now have this extended stable of horses as owners.

The TRL Vic Husslers horses have given Ruth and I the opportunity to expand our stable as owners and a chance to travel around to different tracks in Victoria and South Australia to watch our stable runners compete. Winning is great but the race day involvement is always special. 

Now that my health is in an awkward place and life has slowed down, I really do embrace what it is I have in life. Family is very important to me, Ruth is a rock and yeah, the race days are so important but as alluded to earlier I am not a one trick pony.

Writing is and always has been a great love. It keeps me ticking over and gets my mind to explore many different facets of live. Sure, sport is big and I was blessed to have all the years as a print journalist.

When at home I love to garden, that is a hobby I gained from my mum Joan Green and I have spent countless hours outside in the yard and doing my flowerpots. Fishing has been a major part of my life especially with my dad Jimmy Green but also with Mum and while I don't necessarily fancy myself in the kitchen, I do love to cook.

Music has been important to me across my 68 years, my musical taste probably ended with the disco era but Ruth and I always embrace music on our road trip times and we both have a love of Christian Worship Music. When driving we make music fun, and it helps the miles pass by. Sadly, I am no longer allowed to drive with my medical problems, so Ruth is the go-to lady and wow, she drives us across so many road trips and so many miles on all of our travels.

I enjoy a good movie, not really crash and bash graphic type stuff because I like the acting to be the centerpiece of what I am watching. I will admit to watching a few streaming series from places like Netflix and that has been another life share for Ruth and I. But I do not get reality TV, well not me anyhow. I can't speak for Ruth on that, maybe you can read her profile to learn how she rolls on reality TV.

So, there you have it, that's a bit of an insight into my life and my racing involvement. Hope to see many of you track side as this TRL Vic Husslers journey continues and please come say hi to Ruth and I. Thanks for reading.

And I have this love of footy. Go Cats.

John Green - From Adelaide - Born November 26th 1954 at Barmera in South Australia.

Favorite horse ever:
Saintly

Favorite TRL Horse: Team Captain

Favorite horse owned: Fixated

Most admired trainer of all time: Bart Cimmings and Colin Hayes

Best jockey seen: John Stocker

Favorite jockey of today: William Pike

Favorite ever racing moment: 1986 Cox Plate - Bonecrusher beats Our Waverley Star

Best race caller of all time: Bill Collins

Best present-day race caller: Matt Hill

Favorite racetrack: Moonee Valley

Favorite footy team: Geelong Cats

Favorite ever movie: The Great Escape

Best song ever: Simply the best - Tina Turner

And while mentioning some favorite and some best things about racing and life. I was on track at Flemington for Melbourne Cup Day in 1976, a torrential downpour hit the track before the cup and the race was delayed 45 minutes. That was just an awkward racetrack time, knee deep in water, soaked and my punt on Gold and Black went astray as the Kiwi bolter Van Der Hum with Bob Skelton riding plodded home to win on a bog track. 

I got to see Black Caviar win at Morphettville along with 25,000 race fans. I remember Bart Cummings when he trained at the Port in Adelaide, John Hawkes was an Adelaide jockey turned trainer who now heads up the highly successful Team Hawkes stable in Sydney. I recall CS Hayes in the pre Lindsay Park days, John Stocker and Jim Johnson were in their heyday as hoops in Adelaide. Tommy Woodcock of Phar Lap fame won the Adelaide Cup 1977 with Reckless, that was a big day at the races.

In my city we had three metro tracks, Morphettville, Cheltenham and Victoria Park and each had it's own unique likeness. In SA we only raced on Saturday in the city and Wednesday at the provincials. Yeah, racing memories are plenty and I am hoping there are still plenty more to be made.

I would not swap my racing life for anything. I am blessed.

But I so want to be able to use my race day catch-cry, Go you good thing. From our TRL Vic Husslers stable, who will the next winner be - who will be the next star? Hopefully I have a few more years left yet, and Ruth and I can continue our racing journey around the country.

__________________________________________________________________



Ruth C Hall

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner




Having no racing background at all has not stopped Ruth from embracing this racehorse ownership journey. It is only 6-years ago that she had her first ever day at the races when she went to Flemington at the beginning of the Spring Carnival. But it would now be fair to say she has taken to this racing game and developed a love of the horses and the sport.

Starting her ownership time with a share in Bellarine Beauty and Fixated through miRunners, Ruth has enjoyed the expansion of ownership with the horses she now has with the TRL Vic Husslers.

The first day Ruth had as an owner was at Seymour in September 2019 when Bellarine Beauty lined up for her race debut. A lasting memory for Ruth is when she first had the chance to pat her own racehorse. Georgie Stone from Malau Racing allowed owners the chance to meet 'Daisy' and get pics and pats and to this day Ruth rates that experience as life changing in how she viewed racing and the horses.


Ruth has really embraced the race day form of the horses and spends time mulling over and assessing all that there is available when working out her selections. She has developed her own selection criteria and loves the math, the probability and the likely chance of how the form would impact the hope of a horse in a certain race. Not just as we would using form, no Ruth has her own set of figures to use and for the record her strike rate of winners is not to shaby at all. She loves her form analysis ideas and is happy to say it has really broaden her horizon on all things racing.

Mixing with the racing elite is not really her thing but Ruth is always surprised at how friendly, how grounded and how available the trainers and jockeys are. It surprises her that they are so engaging. Watching them on TV and during interviews etc is fine but she really is taken by how these then famous racing people give their time to the rank and file.

While she is definitely not the selfie queen of the racetrack Ruth is open to sharing some race day pics with trainers, jockeys and fellow owners.

The mixing with members from the TRL Vic Husslers group is something that adds to her racing experience, and she has formed some strong friendships. Raceday atmosphere is something that appeals to Ruth and being on course has become a regular thing. She likes the track experience regardless of whether the track be in the city or way out in the country back blocks. In facts she really does enjoy country racing.

Ruth loves to watch the action from down at the rail and really enjoys the sound of the field running towards the post.


While Ruth had no racing background it turns out her dad Harry was an SP bookmaker back in his days working the shearing sheds around the country. But she has no understanding of that as it was well before she was born.

So, when she first had the chance to go to a race meeting, she will admit to being very scared having no idea what to expect. She went with John Green and does say she would never have gone to a race day on her own. Throughout life Ruth had associated racing with gambling and betting and didn't think that was a good look. But she quickly came to understand that racing has many facets and that the racing people are genuinely good folk and are different to how she imagined they might be.

Ruth will say that having John as a resource to learn about racing and to get an understanding of the sport has been a key to her journey. She asks many questions about racing and having someone who has a racing background and racing history has really allowed Ruth to move ahead knowing she now gets many things about how the racing game plays out. She is always very keen to learn all she can.


Away from racing, study is something Ruth has embraced across her life. She has a Bachelor (Honors) in Child Education, she has a Diploma in Counselling amongst other achievements. Ruth is an avid research student and reads and understands the significance of all that stats and data can show on various subjects.

On the work front Ruth had many years in aged care and was a medical receptionist for some time. But being a single mum and raising her kids was a big part for her in life and she is proud of that time.

Writing is a great interest to Ruth. She has always loved to pen her thoughts and in recent years has had four of her personal stories published in editions of the book called 'The Stories of Life'. And for two of the works in 2021 and 2022 Ruth won awards for her articles including a story she wrote about her dad Harry Hall. 

Family is big to Ruth. Her children Michael, Tim and Libby have spread around the country, Libby lives nearby in Adelaide, but Tim moved to Tasmania and Michael to Western Australia. There are six grandkids, Zen, Koa, Isabella, Harry, Jack and Wren and all love the involvement with grannie.

Ruth grew up with a very strong faith being in a Christian home and a church environment. To this day her faith is very important and plays a big part in her life. She has a personal relationship with God and Ruth is a great example to others with her walk of faith. Her Bible is read often.

Gardening is a pastime Ruth enjoys. She loves to read and has a massive personal library of books read and books to be read. Autobiographies are a favorite read and fiction gets a look in as well. Board games fit into the Ruth hobby activities, friends are important in her life, the grandkids as said are always a priority and she loves driving so the race day road trips are a good fit. Camping is another of her recreational pursuits that she loves in life and just heading off into the country or to a nearby park for a picnic always means a good day out.

And Ruth is happy to admit that Reality TV is ok, not brilliant but ok.

But on racing, Ruth is very happy to acknowledge that she is now a racing convert and embraces all the sport has to offer. She has a love of horses.

Ruth C Hall - from Adelaide - Born May 31st 1960 at Yorktown South Australia

Favorite TRL Horse: 
Team Captain

Favorite racetrack: Moonee Valley

Favorite jockey of today: William Pike

Go to holiday destination: Houseboat on the Murray

Favorite TV series: Jack Irish

Best season: I like them all

Favorite drink: Moscato ... a cuppa' tea

Do you have a pet?:
 John

What has been your favorite decade in life: 80's

Favorite movie: Far and Away - Forrest Gump ... But I have many others I really enjoy

Favorite color: Blue

Favorite footy team: Geelong Cats

Favorite board game: Scrabble

Best meal cooked: Roast




_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________








Heather Hogan

Melbourne Vic

TRL Vic Husslers owner




Chris Ottens

Melbourne Vic

TRL Vic Husslers owner




Fred Studd

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner



Sandra Simon

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner




John Speziale

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner



David Binyon

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner



Gavin Tully

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner




Trevor Banks

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner



Julie Bridge

Adelaide SA

TRL Vic Husslers owner



Phillip Ned Myers

Moree NSW

TRL Vic Husslers - Queensland Rogues owner




___________________________________________________________________


THE TRL VIC HUSSLERS STABLE

Who are the horses in the Vic Husslers racing stable? Who trains each runner and what is their race record? And what horses have been moved on?

Have a look through the race results of all our horses and watch all replays simply by clicking on the link. Check out steward's vision and read stewards reports. 

This section will be updated after each race start. Just refresh the link each time you come for a read and all updates will be there for you.

And as any new horse is added to the stable then the racing record for that runner will be added and updated here.


TEAM CAPTAIN (Formally Yulong Captain)

Matt Cumani - Ballarat

Galileo/Remember When - Foaled April 1st 2016 - Gelding - Cost $121,000

32 starts - 6-5-4  $339,730 ... (Vic Husslers 10 starts - 2-1-1)



8 of 16 Morphettville Monday March 13th 2023

Race 7 - Morphettville - Mon 13 Mar 2023 | RACING.COM  (Results) 


   
Race Replays | Racing SA  (Replay - Race 7)

7 of 13 Morphetville Saturday February 25th 2023

Race 8 - Morphettville - Sat 25 Feb 2023 | RACING.COM  (Result)

Race Replays | Racing SA  (Replay - Race 8)

2 of 7 Caulfield Saturday November 26th 2022 

Race 2 - Caulfield - Sat 26 Nov 2022 | RACING.COM

5 of 15 Flemington Tuesday November 1st 2022

Race 2 - Flemington - Tue 1 Nov 2022 | RACING.COM

11 of 16 Geelong Wednesday October 19th 2022 

Race 8 - bet365 Geelong - Wed 19 Oct 2022 | RACING.COM

6 of 15 Flemington Saturday September 10th 2022

Race 6 - Flemington - Sat 10 Sep 2022 | RACING.COM

13 of 14 Caulfield - Saturday August 27th 2022

Race 9 - Caulfield - Sat 27 Aug 2022 | RACING.COM

3 of 14 at Pakenham Saturday December 4th 2021

Race 7 - Sportsbet-Pakenham - Sat 4 Dec 2021 | RACING.COM

1 of 12 at Flemington Tuesday November 2nd 2021

Race 2 - Flemington - Tue 2 Nov 2021 | RACING.COM

Changed name to Team Captain (Formally Yulong Captain)

1 of 9 at Hamilton Saturday October 9th 2021

Race 7 - Hamilton - Sat 9 Oct 2021 | RACING.COM






BELLINGER

Ben & JD Hayes - Flemington

Zoustar/Dora's Ready - 1 October 2017 - Gelding - Cost $99,000

27 starts - 6-5-1  $208,735 (Vic Husslers 19 starts - 5-3-1)


16 of 16 Flemington Saturday March 25th 2023

Race 9 - Flemington - Sat 25 Mar 2023 | RACING.COM

1 of 7 Morphettville Parks Saturday March 11th 2023

Race 4 - Morphettville Parks - Sat 11 Mar 2023 | RACING.COM (Results)

Race Replays | Racing SA  (Replay Race 4)

1 of 10 Morphettville Parks Saturday February 11th 2023

Race 2 - Morphettville - Sat 11 Feb 2023 | RACING.COM (Results)

Race Replays | Racing SA (Replay Race 2)

5 of 10 Pakenham Thursday January 19th 2023

Race 5 - Sportsbet-Pakenham - Thu 19 Jan 2023 | RACING.COM

4 of 10 Sandown Saturday January 7th 2023 

Race 6 - Ladbrokes Park Hillside - Sat 7 Jan 2023 | RACING.COM

2 of 13 Sandown Wednesday December 14th 2022

Race 8 - Ladbrokes Park Lakeside - Wed 14 Dec 2022 | RACING.COM

6 of 12 Wodonga Friday November 25th 2022 

Race 9 - bet365 Park Wodonga - Fri 25 Nov 2022 | RACING.COM

6 of 12 Cranbourne Saturday November 12th 2022 

Race 9 - Cranbourne - Sat 12 Nov 2022 | RACING.COM

2 of 7 Horsham Sunday October 16th 2022 

Race 8 - Horsham - Sun 16 Oct 2022 | RACING.COM

2 of 7 Benalla Friday September 23rd 2022 

Race 5 - bet365 Benalla - Fri 23 Sep 2022 | RACING.COM

3 of 15 Bendigo Saturday April 2nd 2022 

Race 2 - Bendigo - Sat 2 Apr 2022 | RACING.COM

1 of 9 Cranbourne Friday March 11th 2022 

Race 8 - Cranbourne - Fri 11 Mar 2022 | RACING.COM

6 of 9 Sandown Wednesday February 23rd 2022 

Race 7 - Ladbrokes Park Hillside - Wed 23 Feb 2022 | RACING.COM

5 of 10 Sandown Wednesday January 19th 2022 

Race 7 - Ladbrokes Park Lakeside - Wed 19 Jan 2022 | RACING.COM

4 of 11 Sandown Wednesday January 5th 2022 

Race 5 - Ladbrokes Park Hillside - Wed 5 Jan 2022 | RACING.COM

1 of 9 Cranbourne Friday December 10th 2021

Race 7 - Cranbourne - Fri 10 Dec 2021 | RACING.COM

7 of 13 Donald Sunday November 14th 2021

Race 8 - Donald - Sun 14 Nov 2021 | RACING.COM

1 of 10 Benalla Monday October 25th 2021

Race 8 - Benalla - Mon 25 Oct 2021 | RACING.COM

5 of 10 Sale Wednesday October 6th 2021

Race 9 - Sale - Wed 6 Oct 2021 | RACING.COM




LETHAL THOUGHTS

Ciaron Maher/David Eustace - Cranbourne/Ballarat

So You Think/St Remy - Foaled 20th August 2019 - Colt - Cost $176,000

12 starts - 2-0-1  $156,200




9 of 11 Flemington Saturday July 1st 2023

Race 9 - Flemington - Sat 1 Jul 2023 | RACING.COM

4 of 12 Sandown Saturday June 10th 2023

Race 7 - Ladbrokes Park Hillside - Sat 10 Jun 2023 | RACING.COM

6 of 12 Flemington Saturday May 13th 2023

Race 5 - Flemington - Sat 13 May 2023 | RACING.COM

1 of 10 Mornington Saturday April 22nd 2023

Race 6 - Mornington - Sat 22 Apr 2023 | RACING.COM

4 of 12 Bendigo Saturday April 1st 2023

Race 7 - Apiam Bendigo - Sat 1 Apr 2023 | RACING.COM

7 of 13 Flemington Saturday March 11th 2023

Race 9 - Flemington - Sat 11 Mar 2023 | RACING.COM

16 of 16 Caulfield Saturday October 8th 2022

Race 8 - Caulfield - Sat 8 Oct 2022 | RACING.COM

9 of 11 Caulfield Saturday September 17th 2022

Race 4 - Caulfield - Sat 17 Sep 2022 | RACING.COM

5 of 8 Rosehill Saturday August 27th 2022

Race 8 - Rosehill Gardens - Sat 27 Aug 2022 | RACING.COM (Race result)

Racing New South Wales Home (racingnsw.com.au) (Race replay - Race 8)

6 of 17 Eagle Farm Saturday June 11th 2022

Racing New South Wales Home (racingnsw.com.au) (Race result and replay - Race 7)

3 of 13 Flemington Saturday May 21st 2022

Race 2 - Flemington - Sat 21 May 2022 | RACING.COM

1 of 6 Sale Wednesday April 27th Saturday May 21st 2022

Race 1 - Sale - Wed 27 Apr 2022 | RACING.COM






THE BIG FREEZE

Richard and Chantelle Jolly - Morphettville 

(Formally with Peter Moody - Pakenham)

Pride of Dubai/Just Add Water - Foaled 4th September 2019 - Gelding - Cost $165,000

10 starts - 1-1-0  $26,355 


5 of 13 Murray Bridge Wednesday July 12th 2023 


9 of 9 Balaklava Wednesday June 14th 2023 

Race 5 - Balaklava - Wed 14 Jun 2023 | RACING.COM (Race result)

Race Replays | Racing SA (Replay - race 5)

6 of 7 Geelong Tuesday April 18th 2023

Race 7 - bet365 Geelong - Tue 18 Apr 2023 | RACING.COM

6 of 9 Cranbourne Friday March 31st 2023

Race 8 - Cranbourne - Fri 31 Mar 2023 | RACING.COM

4 of 10 Geelong Tuesday November 22nd 2022 

Race 7 - bet365 Geelong - Tue 22 Nov 2022 | RACING.COM

2 of 11 Moe Monday November 7th 2022 

Race 8 - Moe - Mon 7 Nov 2022 | RACING.COM

1 of 9 Moe Saturday October 22nd 2022 

Race 3 - Moe - Sat 22 Oct 2022 | RACING.COM

4 of 6 Cranbourne Friday October 2nd 2022

Race 4 - Cranbourne - Fri 7 Oct 2022 | RACING.COM

9 of 11 Pakenham Synthetic Friday June 3rd 2022

Race 3 - Sportsbet-Pakenham Synthetic - Fri 3 Jun 2022 | RACING.COM

10 of 12 Pakenham Thursday May 19th 2022

Race 1 - Sportsbet-Pakenham - Thu 19 May 2022 | RACING.COM







EUREKA STORM

Matt Cumani - Ballarat ... (Formally Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) - Cranbourne)

Written Tycoon/Tornado Miss - Foaled 19th August 2019 - Gelding - Cost $385,000

7 starts - 0-1-1  $18,505


4 of 11 Pakenham Syn Saturday July 8th 2023 

Race 4 - Sportsbet-Pakenham Synthetic - Sat 8 Jul 2023 | RACING.COM

3 of 12 Pakenham Syn Monday June 26th 2023 

Race 4 - Sportsbet-Pakenham Synthetic - Mon 26 Jun 2023 | RACING.COM

6 of 11 Echuca Thursday June 1st 2023  

Race 1 - bet365 Echuca - Thu 1 Jun 2023 | RACING.COM

4 of 9 Kilmore Thursday May 11th 2023  

Race 1 - bet365 Park Kilmore - Thu 11 May 2023 | RACING.COM

2 of 9 Geelong Friday April 28th 2023  

Race 2 - bet365 Geelong - Fri 28 Apr 2023 | RACING.COM

8 of 9 Pakenham Syn Sunday October 16th 2022

Race 1 - Sportsbet-Pakenham Synthetic - Sun 16 Oct 2022 | RACING.COM

4 of 7 Wodonga Saturday May 28th 2022

Race 1 - bet365 Park Wodonga - Sat 28 May 2022 | RACING.COM




EDGE OF DREAMS

Trent Bussutin/Natalie Young - Cranbourne

Pierro/Life on the Edge - Foaled November 12th 2019 - Gelding

0 starts - 0-0-0  $000.00


No race starts - Sold (Lot 16) Inglis OnLine Sale March 8th 2023 - $7,500

TRL horse report advising on horse sale (click on the link below)

TRL VIC Husslers RA | Edgeofdreams Horse Report (mistable.com)



PARDON MY FRENCH

Maher/Eustace - Cranbourne - Ballarat

Almanzor/Clemency - October 30th 2020 - Bay Filly

Inglis Melbourne Premier Sale - Cost $160,000 

0 starts - 0-0-0  $000.00





SKYWALKER

Ben & JD Hayes - Flemington/Euroa

Trapeze Artist/Earth Sky - October 4th 2021 - Bay Filly

MM Gold Coast Yearling Sale - Cost $200,000 - TRL 70% ownership ($154,000)

0 starts - 0-0-0  $000.00





UNNAMED

Maher/Eustace - Cranbourne - Ballarat

Dubious/Rambla de Flores - August 17th 2021 - Bay Filly

MM Gold Coast Yearling Sale - Cost $250,000 - TRL 55% ownership ($151,000)

0 starts - 0-0-0  $000.00



__________________________________________________________________


THE TRL VIC HUSSLER TRAINERS


Who are the TRL Vic Hussler trainers? What horse do they train for our group? Where are their stables? And what is their overall training record? How do they each fit into the broader racing landscape? 

We hear about these trainers in the media, watch them at the track, listen to interviews on the different racing media platforms and I'm sure from time to time we have a punt on their stable runners. And for our ownership group we now get to meet and chat with them on raceday.

So, let's have a look at who the trainers are, chat here about their racing history and show some pics. I am sure each of us has a favorite so read on and get an understanding of the trainers.


MATT CUMANI

Cumani Racing

Ballarat

TRL Vic Husslers - Team Captain - Eureka Storm

Newmarket born and bred, the son of revered English Derby winning trainer, Luca Cumani, and brother to renowned racing expert and commentator, Francesca. means Matt has racing in his blood.

Matt's approach seamlessly blends the best of old-school horsemanship with his own take on globally informed techniques and up-to-the-minute industry advancements.

Matt boasts 10-years of varied and intensive experience under the tutelage of some of the worlds most celebrated trainers, among them, Todd Pletcher, Paddy Gallagher, Chris Waller, Ed Dunlop, and of course, Luca Cumani. It is this dynamic range of exposure and learned techniques that grants Matt a unique breath and comprehensive depth unrivalled in the industry.

That intro is taken directly from the Cumani Racing website.

Also, from the Cumani Stable website is the following on the subject of facilities. Having worked the world over, Matt decided to draw upon this cumulative experience and in November 2016 launched his own independent operation from his top-class facility in Australia.

Taking his cue from an increasing trend shift to rural training, Matt established his enterprise at one of Australia's premier trainer destinations - Ballarat, Victoria. Here the go-ahead racing club custom-built a 42 box and office complex at Matt's layout, contributing much to Matt's 2017-18 season training 50 winners.

Just over an hour from Melbourne CBD; within easy reach of an array of country Victorian racetracks; and comfortable travelling distance to contest feature races in Adelaide, South Australia. The facilities on offer at this booming training centre/racecourse give Matt the opportunity to employ a broader repertoire of training techniques and exercise that make full use of, for example, the 1400m uphill all-weather gallop.

The rural setting also means a training environment free of the stresses and disruptions that tend to afflict horses based out of metro stables. By keeping horses in a more-natural environment, Matt safeguards the total wellbeing of the horses while they undergo Matt's focused and effective training regime.

The link below takes you to a great story about the Cumani Family, Luca, Matt and Francesca from the World Horse Racing website in 2019 ... 

THE CUMANI DYNASTY | Luca, Francesca and Matt Cumani - Bing video



Ciaron Maher/David Eustace 

Cranbourne/Ballarat

TRL Vic Husslers - Lethal Thoughts



From six boxes on his dad's dairy farm to one of the best training facilities in the world, Ciaron Maher has come a long way in just 10-years.

The opportunity to acquire Peter Moody's and Darren Weir's stables were too good to miss and because Ciaron always had a plan, both operations were smoothly absorbed. This was achieved by the combination of the brilliant young team of highly intelligent and outstanding horsemen and women who have been trained in his methods and the excellent personnel already operating in the two stables.

With the Ballarat training facilities (that Cairon believes to be amongst the best in the world) Cranbourne and Sydney. A custom-made pre-training and spelling operation at Pakenham and hand-picked beach facilities near Balnarring, he truly believes he has the team and facilities to be among, if not the best, training operations in Australia.

Ciaron Maher - Apprentice to CS Hayes then a successful jumps jockey, including captaining the Australia team against Ireland in the International Jockey Challenge, Ciaron realised his size would deny his riding ambitions.

Despite that, his love for racing and his natural interest and curiosity in training saw him commit to a career as a trainer at a very young age.

Knowing you learn from the best, he spent time with Bart Cummings, Aisen O'Brien and Willie Mullins before starting in his own right with 6 boxes on his dad's farm. He knows you never stop learning and continues to connect with the greats, in the last few years spending time with Wesley Ward (USA), Roger Charlton (UK), Richard Hannon (UK), Andre Fabre (France) and Joseph O'Brien (Ire).

Ciaron is now very happy to be based in what he describes as the leading training facility he's seen anywhere in the world at Ballarat. The stable also has operations in Cranbourne and at Warwick Farm in Sydney.

David Eustace - Son of Newmarket trainer James Eustace, racing is in David’s blood. In his father’s yard from an early age, always learning, he then moved to leading UK trainer Roger Varian, whilst also becoming a capable amateur jockey.

Like Ciaron, David knows to be the best you have to learn from the best, so he moved to Australia where he worked with Peter Moody and Team Snowden before joining Ciaron as his assistant.

Two years of learning Ciaron's methods and adding his own thorough and meticulous attention to detail made it easy for Ciaron to make David his co-trainer.

The team - Ciaron and Dave are very proud that everyone in the front line of the CMR team is an outstanding horseman or horsewoman. Many have serious representative credentials. Most of them keep their hand in as work riders. When you talk to one of them there is a good chance he or she has ridden your horse, so that worker will be talking with authority.

And whether front line or back-of-house, they are mostly university graduates, but also with considerable experience in the thoroughbred racing game. It makes the CMR team a very special group, with a great depth of talent.



BEN & JD HAYES

Flemington - Euroa (Lindsay Park)

TRL Vic Husslers - Bellinger and Skywalker


Ben Hayes was joined by his younger brother JD in the training partnership on June21st 2021. As sons of David and grandsons of Colin Hayes, a new era has emerged with the third generation of Hayes family sons taking up the reins. Well versed in the business and in horsemanship, the two are firmly entrenched to continue the integrity, success and the tradition of Lindsay Park

Ben Hayes - Ben has been training in the partnership since 2016 and is based at Euroa. He lives on Lindsay Park, whilst travelling to the Flemington stables to oversee that stable arm.

He grew up with racing in his sights, living in Hong Kong on the Sha Tin racetrack. Ben has international experience that extends to travelling with and managing Lindsay Park overseas runners in Japan, Dubai and England. He also gained valuable experience and education working under top UK trainers Charlie Hills in Lambourn and John Gosden in Newmarket.

JD Hayes - Growing up in the business, JD has for the past seven years worked solidly in the stable, riding track work and learning the ropes. He is well armed to enter the training game. JD brings his own energy and enthusiasm into the new era of Lindsay Park and is well equipped with fresh ideas of the younger generation to continue the tradition with a cutting edge alongside his brother Ben.

A very interesting newspaper report by The Shepparton News on November 11th, 2021, talks about the new training partnership between Ban and JD Hayes. Clink on the link below to read the story.

A family affair: Ben Hayes reflects on the beginning of a new era at Lindsay Park | Shepparton News (sheppnews.com.au)

Will Hayes joins his brothers Ben and JD in the training partnership ... the link below introduces the Hayes boys chatting about the new move ...

Video | Facebook



Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr 

Cranbourne - Warrnambool 

TRL Vic Husslers - (Original trainers) Eureka Storm



A formidable partnership of two extremely talented horse trainers who share the same philosophy to offer their horses and owners expertise and honesty.

Price Kent Racing don't want to be the biggest, they are passionate about the whole art and challenge of daily life as horse trainers.

Good relationships with owners big or small is key in their stable success. Everyone is important and offered the best experience racing a horse with Price Kent has to offer.

Mick and Michael love what they do and they do it well. Their approach is honesty and to perform to the best of their ability.

They are fortunate to have good facilities, good work programs and good staff who love their horses.

Together with the Warrnambool beach stables it is no fluke that the stable has seen 44 Group One winners, hundreds of Stakes winners and over $136 million in prize money.

To read the Mick Price training story, click on the link below.

MICK PRICE - Price Kent Racing

Michael Kent entered the training partnership with Mike Price in 2019. To read the story of how that played out, click on the link below.

Michael Kent Jnr - Price Kent Racing



Richard and Chantelle Jolly 

Morphettville

TRL Vic Husslers - The Big Freeze


Richard enjoyed a distinguished career in Adelaide as a successful jockey for over 14 years, winning more than 800 races including Group and Listed. As a 16-year-old he won the 1989 Group 1 Perth Cup on a horse named Saratov, and later that year rode her in the Melbourne Cup.

Richard started training horses in August 2000. Since that time, he has had a great deal of success finishing consistently in the top group of trainers, a real achievement in such a competitive industry. His proudest moment was winning the SA Derby with Kushadasi in 2014.

Richard was proud to announce in September 2018 that his daughter Chantelle was joining him in partnership as co-trainer.

Chantelle had worked for the stable full-time since finishing school in 2014, whilst also studying a Bachelor of Business at university. She acquired her trainer’s license in 2015 becoming one of the youngest female trainers in Australia and trained her first winner at 19 years of age.

Early in 2018 she spent three months in the UK working for top trainer Ralph Beckett who trains around 150 horses. She loved her time away and the knowledge and experience she gained was invaluable.

Together they have a team of 46 horses in full work at any one time. Richard retired from riding track work in 2019 but Chantelle derives much pleasure from the task and can report back on the horses’ progress. This inside knowledge assists in placing their horses to their best advantage.

They are confident in sending their horses interstate and are proud of the Black Type races they have won together.

Recent successes included Kemalpasa who won the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes at Morphettville (2021), the Group 2 Linlithgow Stakes at Flemington twice (2019, 2020) and the Group 3 Kevin Heffernan Stakes at Sandown (2020). Hard Empire won the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes at Morphettville (2019), and Regalo Di Gaetano won the inaugural Listed John Letts Cup at Morphettville (2020). 3yo filly All Banter took on the older horses and won the Listed WJ Adams Stakes at Caulfield (2021).


Season 2022/23 South Australia Trainers Premiership Winner ...

Jollys & Jake set for premiership glory | Racing SA


________________________________________________________________________________




THE TRL VIC HUSSLER JOCKEYS

The jockeys who ride our horses can be many and varied. Naturally trainers will select different riders for different horses so there is not set formula in who rides on any given day. Over the journey we have had many hoops ride our stable runners.

Some get used more regular, some for maybe just one ride. But the jockeys are naturally a key for racing so here we will look at the riders and give some small insight into who they all are. 

Again, one of the great things about this horse ownership is that we get to meet and chat with these jockeys on race day. We get to be involved and to see and hear firsthand on what they have to say before and after riding one of our horses.


BLAKE SHINN




LAURA LAFFERTY




BLAIKE McDOUGALL




CRAIG WILLIAMS




LINDA MEECH




HARRY COFFEY



TODD PANNELL




JAMIE MOTT




CARLEEN HEFEL




LIAM RIORDAN




JESS EATON




MICKEY DEE




BRENTON AVDULLA




JOHN ALLEN




DECLAN BATES





BEN ALLEN




JOSH RICHARDS





PAT MOLONEY


JORDAN CHILDS


ZAC SPAIN


ETHAN BROWN


MATTHEW CARTWRIGHT


DEAN YENDALL


BEN MELHAM




No comments:

Post a Comment